Requirements for ALL MINORS attending our event:
If you are the legal guardian of the child(ren) with you: you will be asked to present either a signed blue card for each child with you OR a completed Minor Waiver with your signature on it.
If you are NOT the legal guardian of the child(ren) with you: you will be asked to present either a signed blue card for each child with you OR a completed Minor Waiver with the signature of the child's parent / guardian on it. Additionally, you will be required to show a properly executed Medical Authorization for Minors form at the gate, and to keep it on you at all times during the course of the event. In the state of Michigan, it is required by law for this form to be signed by the parent / legal guardian as well as either witnessed or notarized for this form to be considered valid. Unfortunately, failure to provide these forms at the gate will result in the inability to participate in pillaging, plundering, merrymaking, feasting and any other form of piracy on the Inland Seas. Ye'll be asked to turn your ship around and sail home to get the appropriate forms and signatures. (It is very important these documents are brought in this situation as we cannot admit a child without them into the event.)
LINK TO FORMS:
Individual Minor Waiver (PDF)
Family Minor Waiver (PDF) (for multiple children in one family)
Medical Authorization for Minors (PDF) with space for notarization
Ministry of Children – The guidelines presented exist to provide a means of structuring youth programs within the Kingdoms of the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Minor: persons who HAVE NOT achieved the age of legal majority in the state, province, or country in which the function is being held.
Adult: persons who HAVE achieved the age of majority in the state, province or country in which the function is being held.
Guardian. The SCA youth events and classes should not be considered a babysitting service for youth.
Appendix A. Schedule of Events
I. Parental Responsibilities for Children at SCA Events
A. Parents or legal guardians (or temporary guardians as recorded on the "designated adult in charge of a minor form") are responsible for children brought to an event.
B. Parents/guardians should be aware of their children's location and activities at all times while attending SCA functions. Parents must not expect other adults to supervise or control minors who are wandering unaccompanied at events.
C. Because different levels of Supervision are necessary for different age groups:
1. Children below the age of 5 should not be left unsupervised by the parent/legal guardian at SCA functions, even at planned children's activities.
2. In all Kingdoms, a "Sight and Sound" rule is in effect at all SCA functions. Generally, this states that children less than 12 years old should be in eyesight/earshot of the parent or a designated adult or teenager (as determined by the parent). As a guideline, it is suggested that children in this age range are supervised and not allowed to wander freely at official events (to include demos, meetings, etc.) and if in the care of an adult besides the parent/guardian (designated babysitter, attending activities, etc.) the children should be checked on periodically by the parent/guardian to ensure their safety and suitable behavior.
3. Children 12 years old and younger are not considered suitable babysitters for younger children.
D. SCA Children's officers or other adults supervising children's activities have no authority to discipline or restrain children other than their own, unless the children are in immediate danger of hurting themselves or others. Children's officers will not be held responsible for correcting the conduct of children attending activities. Likewise, as parents and children must follow rules attendant to participation in events, Children's officers are not responsible for children who leave activities unsupervised.
1. Children exhibiting lewd, violent, or otherwise severely problematic behavior at organized activities should be returned to parents. The Event Steward and/or Seneschal should be notified of the problems if such actions must be taken.
2. Official SCA groups must follow the "Two Deep Leadership" model of supervision at all SCA Children's Activities as outlined in the Society Seneschal policy:
E. "For all organized SCA functions for minors, a minimum of two adults (persons who have achieved the age of majority in the state, province, or country in which the function is being held), unrelated to one another by blood or marriage or relationship, must be present. This policy does not relieve parents or guardians from their primary responsibility for the welfare of their children. This policy is not subject to granting or variance or 'grand fathering' of existing activities."
1. Neglect of Parental (or Guardian) responsibility for minors: 1. If event/branch SCA officials find minors in breach of SCA Governing Documents, Laws, Policies or site rules they will (for a first offense) escort the minor to their parent/guardian and issue a verbal warning. A report on the incident will be tendered to the local and Kingdom Seneschal.
2. On a second offense at a given event, the parent(s)/guardian(s) will be required to keep their minor(s) with them for the remainder of the function. A report on the incident will be tendered to the local, Kingdom and Society Seneschal.
3. On a third offense, the minor (s) *and * parent(s)/Guardian(s) will be expelled from the event, and the matter will be reported to local, Kingdom and Society Seneschals.
4. Habitual offenders will be subject to review by Kingdom and Society level for possible sanctions."
This policy does not relieve parents or guardians of their primary responsibility for the welfare and behavior of their children.
**Guardian: The SCA youth events and classes should not be considered a babysitting service for youth. **
Children's policy can be found at:
http://sca.org/docs/pdf/SocSenHandbook-200510.pdf Ministry of Children – The guidelines presented exist to provide a means of structuring youth programs within the Kingdoms of the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Any questions about the validity of the above please see above link or contact Minster of Youth Seadhli Tova at Ladyseadhli@gmail.com